1/2 Photos of Musakhan (Baked Chicken over Bread)
1 hr 25 mins
1 hr 10 mins
This is another delicious recipe by Paula Wolfert.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 22.18 ml ground sumac
- 2.46 ml salt
- 1.23 ml black pepper
- 0.59 ml ground nutmeg
- 0.59 ml ground cinnamon
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1Rinse the chicken pieces and pat dry. Trim off excess fat.
- 2Combine the spices for the marinade. Set aside 2 teaspoons and mix the rest with the lemon juice. Rub into the chicken and marinate in the refrigerator for up to 1 day.
- 3Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Set the chicken out of the fridge & let it come to room temperature.
- 4Place the onions in a large skillet along with 1 1/2 tablespoons of the olive oil, 1/4 cup of chicken stock, reserved spices. Cover and cook on low for 20 minutes.
- 5Place the chicken, upside down, on a nonstick baking pan. Spread the onions over the chicken; cover with foil and bake 30 minutes.
- 6Lightly brush a large ovenproof dish with the remaining oil. Scatter the torn bread along the bottom. Sprinkle the remaining chicken stock over the bread.
- 7Carefully flip the chicken & onion onto the bread so that it is right side up. Return to the oven and bake 20 minutes,uncovered, until tender and the skin is crispy brown. Top with the pine nuts, if using.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Musakhan (Baked Chicken over Bread)
Serving Size: 1 (355 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 594.3
- Calories from Fat 379
- Total Fat 42.2 g
- Saturated Fat 11.0 g
- Cholesterol 174.3 mg
- Sodium 539.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 2.8 g
- Protein 44.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: