1/1 Photo of Musaka'a (Palestinian Eggplant Baked With Tomatoes and Chickpeas
1 hr 10 mins
A delicious vegitarian dish. "Musaqa'a (moo-sa-KAH) is similar to French ratatouille. Though the pronunciation is the same, and both contain eggplant, this vegetarian dish is not the same as Greek moussaka. Also spelled musakka'a or musaqaa." Modified from a recipe found on, whats4eats.com
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large organic eggplant, cubed
- 3 tablespoons and 1/4 cup organic light tasting extra virgin olive oil, separated
- sea salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 organic onion, chopped
- 3 organic fresh tomatoes, chopped (not canned)
- 1 1/2 cups organic chickpeas, cooked and rinsed (or canned)
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons organic tomato paste
- 1/3 cup organic parsley, chopped fine
- 1Preheat oven to 400°F.
- 2In a large bowl, toss the organic eggplant together with 3 tablespoons of the organic light tasting extra virgin olive oil, sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste.
- 3Spread in a single layer in a roasting pan and roast in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or until lightly browned and softened.
- 4While the eggplant is roasting, heat the 1/4 cup olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the organic onions and sauté until translucent.
- 5Add the organic tomatoes, chickpeas, water, tomato paste & sea salt. Bring to a boil and stir to heat through, 3 to 4 minutes. Adjust seasoning to taste.
- 6Place the eggplant in a casserole dish and pour the tomato-onion mixture over it. Place in the oven and bake for 40 minutes, or until bubbling through. Remove and serve hot or at room temperature.
Browse Our Top Chickpeas/Garbanzos Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chickpeas/Garbanzos Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Musaka'a (Palestinian Eggplant Baked With Tomatoes and Chickpeas
Serving Size: 1 (429 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 265.4
- Calories from Fat 105
- Total Fat 11.7 g
- Saturated Fat 1.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 345.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.6 g
- Sugars 7.8 g
- Protein 7.4 g