Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
You will find no canned soup in this recipe. This is an adaption of my dad's recipe that I enhanced with sour cream and cheddar cheese.
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni (or extra wide egg noodles)
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tuna (drained)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped fine
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, chopped (optional)
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 ounces cream cheese, cubed small
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- Preheat the oven to 350F Place pasta in a large pot of boiling water and cook according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, In a large bowl, mix all tuna ingredients well. set aside.
- When pasta is cooked, drain well, then add the hot pasta to the mayo mixture and stir well.
- Pour into an greased 9x13 casserole dish and lightly sprinkle the top with the 2 oz of cheddar cheese first, then bread crumbs. Bake 30-35 minutes till heated through.
This is one of the best tuna casseroles I've made! I left out the onion (personal pref) and used the optional red pepper and cheddar (on top). I was trying to use stuff from the pantry so I used some penne pasta that I had, plus a handful of noodles. This is so creamy and flavorful, and so quick to make from ingredients I always have on hand. Thanks for posting this great recipe! Made for the Best of 2008 event
My husband and I both loved this casserole! I made tuna casserole once in a blue moon, but may make it more now! Thanks for a delicious dish! Made for PRMR game.
I really enjoyed this. The mayonnaise and cream cheese gave it a really tasty creamy flavour without going over the top. I have lots left over in the fridge for lunch today!