Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
From Murray's Cheese of New York. Recipe comes from a recipe card handed out to the public. Try it with baguette, salami, pickles or apples!
- 1 lb cave aged gruyere, shredded
- 1⁄2 lb emmenthaler cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 lb red wax gouda cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 cup white wine (cooking wine)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- hot sauce, to taste
- Soak fondue pot in cold water for two hours before using.
- Cut the garlic clove in half. Rub the inside of the fondue pot with garlic, then add the white wine and lemon juice. Bring to a simmer over low heat.
- Mix shredded cheese with cornstarch.
- Add the cheese mixture all at once. Using a wooden spoon, stir over moderately low heat just until the cheese is melted and smooth, about 5-10 minutes.
- Add the nutmeg. Season with salt, pepper and hot sauce to taste.
- Set over low flame to keep fondue melted during serving.