Recipe by Lausanne
There are many recipes for vegetable beef soup, but this is the best I've tasted. According to the description, this was also the favorite of the Humphrey family. Muriel Humphrey was the wife of the late Senator Hubert Humphrey.
- 1 and a half pounds stewing beef, more if you prefer
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper, maybe less
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 -5 medium carrots, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup cabbage, chopped
- 2 and a half cups canned plum tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- 1 pinch oregano
Directions See How It's Made
- In a heavy 3 quart kettle, cover the meat with water. Add salt, pepper, and bay leaves. Bring to the bubbly stage, then turn to low while adding the first four vegetables. Simmer at least 2 and 1/2 hours or until the meat is very tender. Remove the bay leaves. Cut the meat into bite-sized pieces. Add tomatoes and the rest of the ingredients. Simmer another 1/2 hour longer, then serve.