1/2 Photos of Murghi Aur Aloo ( Chicken and Potato Curry)
1 hr 5 mins
Brian Holley's Note:
Wonderful curry, my friend gave me this recipe after dinner at his house. The use of nuts, cream and saffron make this a bit special.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs skinless chicken pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 inch cube fresh ginger, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 4 dried red chilies
- 2 black cardamom pods, seeds only
- 6 cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks, broken up
- 6 black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon white poppy seeds
- 12 cashew nuts
- 4 tablespoons cold water
- 2 ounces butter
- 1 ounce coriander leaves, chopped
- 2 fresh green chilies, halved and seeded
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 pint warm water
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron strand
- 1 lb small potato, peeled and halved
- 5 ounces fresh single cream
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 hardboiled egg, quatered
- 1Mash the salt with the ginger and garlic to make a pulp.
- 2Grind the cumin seeds, red chillies, cardamom seeds, cloves, cinnamon sticks and peppercorn together to make a powder.
- 3Grind the poppy seeds and the cashew nuts together. Mix all of the ground ingredients with the 4 tbsp of cold water, to make a paste.
- 4In a heavy pot melt the butter over low heat,.
- 5and cook the ginger/garlic pulp for 3 mins stirring all the time.
- 6Add the spice paste and cook for 3 mins, stir.
- 7Add the chicken and cook till it changes colour 6 minutes.
- 8Add the coriander leaves,green chillie, and turmeric. Stir-fry for 3 miins.
- 9Add the water, bring to the boil, add the saffron, cover the pot and simmer for 15 minutes.
- 10Add the potatoes and cook till tender 20 minutes.
- 11Stir the cream and lemon juice into the pot and cook uncovered for 5 minutes.
- 12Garnish with the eggs.
- 13serve with plain boiled rice and a vegetable curry to make this a meal to remember.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Murghi Aur Aloo ( Chicken and Potato Curry)
Serving Size: 1 (530 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 516.1
- Calories from Fat 243
- Total Fat 27.0 g
- Saturated Fat 13.6 g
- Cholesterol 250.7 mg
- Sodium 839.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.1 g
- Sugars 5.8 g
- Protein 39.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
black cardamom pods