Wonderful curry, my friend gave me this recipe after dinner at his house. The use of nuts, cream and saffron make this a bit special.
- 3 lbs skinless chicken pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 inch cube fresh ginger, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 4 dried red chilies
- 2 black cardamom pods, seeds only
- 6 cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks, broken up
- 6 black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon white poppy seeds
- 12 cashew nuts
- 4 tablespoons cold water
- 2 ounces butter
- 1 ounce coriander leaves, chopped
- 2 fresh green chilies, halved and seeded
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 pint warm water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon saffron strand
- 1 lb small potato, peeled and halved
- 5 ounces fresh single cream
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 hardboiled egg, quatered
- Mash the salt with the ginger and garlic to make a pulp.
- Grind the cumin seeds, red chillies, cardamom seeds, cloves, cinnamon sticks and peppercorn together to make a powder.
- Grind the poppy seeds and the cashew nuts together. Mix all of the ground ingredients with the 4 tbsp of cold water, to make a paste.
- In a heavy pot melt the butter over low heat,.
- and cook the ginger/garlic pulp for 3 mins stirring all the time.
- Add the spice paste and cook for 3 mins, stir.
- Add the chicken and cook till it changes colour 6 minutes.
- Add the coriander leaves,green chillie, and turmeric. Stir-fry for 3 miins.
- Add the water, bring to the boil, add the saffron, cover the pot and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and cook till tender 20 minutes.
- Stir the cream and lemon juice into the pot and cook uncovered for 5 minutes.
- Garnish with the eggs.
- serve with plain boiled rice and a vegetable curry to make this a meal to remember.