Posted for ZWT6. Adapted from Sanjeev Kapoor's website.
Make and share this Murgh Pulao (Indian Chicken With Basmati Rice) recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless chicken
- 1 1⁄2 cups uncooked basmati rice, soaked
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (to taste)
- salt, to taste
- 2 tablespoons ginger paste
- 2 tablespoons garlic paste
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 6 -8 cloves
- 6 -8 green cardamoms
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 inches cinnamon sticks
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup yogurt
- 3 cups chicken stock
- fresh cilantro, a few sprigs
- Cut chicken into 1 inch pieces and place in a bowl.
- Add 1/2 tsp cayenne, salt, half the ginger paste, half the garlic paste and mix. Marinate for fifteen to twenty minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan, add cumin seeds, cloves, green cardamoms, bay leaves and cinnamon. Sauté till fragrant.
- Add onions and sauté until lightly browned.
- Add the remaining ginger paste, garlic paste and cayenne. Stir and sauté for two minutes.
- Add tomatoes, salt, yogurt and continue to sauté for two minutes.
- Add rice, marinated chicken pieces and cilantro and mix well.
- Add chicken stock (or vegetable stock) and bring it to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat and let it cook till both the chicken and rice are done.
- Serve hot.