Recipe by Galley Devil
I would recommend using Kashmiri chilli powder (available at most International food outlets) for this recipe because they are known for the lovely reddish-orange color they give the gravy and besides that it is not overly spicy either. This recipe takes a while to prepare. Preparation and cooking time mentioned does not include the time required for the chicken to marinate. To prepare in advance, you can marinate the chicken the day before and keep it over-night in the refrigerator. To prevent the cream from curdling, do not boil the gravy for too long after adding the cream. Note: Serve with an Indian flat bread like naan, or with steamed long-grain rice.
- 1 (3 1/2 lb) roasting chickens, 3 . 5 lbs, skinned
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 10 g chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 lemon, juice of
- salt, to taste
- butter, for basting
For the marinade
- 100 g yoghurt
- 100 g cream
- 15 g ginger paste
- 15 g garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1 pinch saffron
- 1 drop food coloring, redorange (optional)
For the makhani gravy
- 1 kg tomatoes, quartered
- 500 ml water
- 10 g ginger paste
- 10 g garlic paste
- 6 green chilies, seeded and chopped
- 10 g red chili powder
- 8 -10 cloves
- 6 -8 green cardamoms
- 150 g butter
- 150 ml cream
- 1 tablespoon honey (optional)
- 10 g fenugreek leaves (kasoori methi)
- 10 g ginger, julienned
- salt, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Make deep incisions on the chicken.
- Mix together salt, chilli powder and lemon juice and rub over the chicken evenly. Keep aside for 15 minutes.
- Mix together all the ingredients for the marinade and add it to the chicken. Keep aside for four hours.
- To prepare the chicken, skewer from head to tail and roast on a charcoal grill or place in a shallow baking pan (covered with aluminum foil) in a preheated oven at 350 degrees F, basting with butter from time to time, for about 50 minutes to an hour or until, when poked with a fork, the juices run clear. If roasting in an oven, remove the foil the last 10 minutes of baking.
- To prepare the gravy, place tomato, water, ginger and garlic pastes, green chilli, red chilli powder, cloves, cardamom and salt in a large saucepan and cook till reduced to sauce consistency.
- Squeeze through a strainer and return the gravy to the saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Heat butter in a separate saucepan and add garlic. Saute for a minute.
- Add the gravy and stir.
- Portion the chicken and add to the gravy.
- Add cream and butter and stir.
- Garnish with fenugreek leaves, julienned ginger and additional cream.
- Serve hot.