Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
I got this recipe from the owner of Birk's Gasthaus in Hermann, Missouri, USA. They used to have Murder Mystery weekends and they always served this for dinner on Saturday night. I won the weekend we went, plus I came home with some wonderful recipes. I have since been told that this works great for once a month cooking. I have added those directions to the bottom of the recipe.
- 8 boneless chicken breasts
- 8 slices swiss cheese
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1⁄4 cup white wine
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter
- 1 cup crushed crouton
- Grease a baking dish.
- Place chicken breasts in the dish.
- Top with slices of Swiss cheese.
- Combine soup and wine, pour over chicken and cheese.
- Drizzle with melted butter and sprinkle the top with the crushed croutons.
- Bake covered at 350 for 1 hour, then uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Serve over rice.
- For Once a Month Cooking:.
- Put together cheese, chicken soup, wine and put chicken on top.Freeze uncooked. When ready to cook, top with croutons or bread crumbs with butter and cook at temp in recipe.
Fixed this after church this noon. Quick, easy and very rich. I believe what I will try next time is to put the cheese and crushed croutons on the last ten minutes of cooking. Today when I took off the cover the cheese had melted and ran off the side. I used only 1/3 cup of the crushed croutons do you think that would of made the difference on the cheese? Thank you I will fix this again!!
woohoo...excellent recipe. I used 2 chicken breast halves and cut them so I had 4 pieces. put a little salt and pepper on each piece and 1 full slice of deli swiss cheese folded in half on each breast. did not decrease other ingredients. Prepared rice using chicken broth, saffron, and chopped parsley. Used store bought caesar salad croutons, whirled in the blender to crush. Had steamed broccoli as a veggie. Wonderful dinner. Enjoyed it tremendously and will make again. Thanks mysterygirl for a keeper recipe.
I made this for dinner a few nights ago...all I can say is DEE-LISH!! I used cream of chicken with herb soup, and some garlic and onion croutons. It was rich and creamy and all of the flavors blended perfectly. I served it over rice...even my little girl enjoyed it. This one will definitely be made again in our house. Thanks Mysterygirl!