Prep 1 hr
Cook 45 mins
In contrast to the famous Vienna style, its Munich relative is a juicy affair and is prepared in a baking pan. My husband is from Munich and loves this yummy treat, it's from a cookbook purchased in Bavaria that converts the measurements to English units, "Bavarian Cooking" assembled by Olli Leeb. In the future I may try it with nuts added, I think it's very flexible. recipe. The book also mentions splitting it into two smaller Strudel and freezing 1, or doubling the recipe and making and freezing several.
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 3 -4 tart apples, sliced very thin with a vegetable slicer
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 5 ounces raisins, soaked in rum
- 5 tablespoons rum
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- confectioners' sugar
- Strudel Dough.
- Sift flour onto a clean, dry work surface. Make a well in the middle. Break the eggs into the well, add the salt, oil & water and mix all with the flour, working outwards from the center. Then knead the dough till it becomes smooth and silky. (At this point I did put it into my Kitchenaid with dough hook as it wasn't getting silky by hand, just very very sticky).
- Let it rest for 1/2 hour covered with a warm saucepan.
- Roll out on a floured cloth and "pull out" to the desired thickness (very thin). Again, I did multiple roll outs with rolling pin as I tore it with my fingers and I used lots of flour as it is a very sticky dough.
- Apple Strudel.
- Prepare Strudel Dough & have rolled out very thin on floured cloth.
- Soak your raisins in the rum.
- Preheat oven to 470*.
- Peel, Core, and slice apples very thin with a vegetable slicer, sprinkle with lemon juice to avoid discoloration.
- Brush the pulled-out strudel dough with the warm melted butter.
- Dab the sour cream out and spread in a smooth layer over butter.
- Spread the apple slices over the dough in an even layer (mine was a few layers of apple slices thick in places, I had a lot of apples) stopping about an inch short of the edges.
- Sprinkle with rum soaked raisins (discard excess rum).
- Sprinkle with sugar and spices to taste; I did a couple fistfuls of sugar.
- Fold in the edges of the dough and with the help of the cloth, roll up the strudel loosely.
- Slide the strudel into a well-buttered baking dish.
- Bring milk and cream to a boil with some cinnamon sprinkled in, pour this over the top of the strudel in baking dish.
- Bake @ 470* for 15 minutes, reduce heat to 420* Bake an additional 30-40 minutes.
- Cut into portions before serving and sprinkle with sifted confectioners sugar. Serve hot or cold.