Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
Korean recipes from Sunset
Make and share this Mung Bean Sprout Salad recipe from Food.com.
- In a 5- to 6-quart pan over high heat, bring 2 quarts water to a boil.
- Add 1 pound rinsed mung bean sprouts and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Cook until sprouts begin to wilt but still retain a slight crunch, 4 to 5 minutes. Drain well and pour into a bowl.
- Add 2 tablespoons white distilled vinegar, 2 tablespoons Asian sesame oil, 1 tablespoon sugar, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve at room temperature or cold.
- Shortly before serving, sprinkle mung bean sprout salad with about 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds.
Fast and delicious sub for slaw with fried chicken ( a great final resting place for 1 lb of sprouts). I used 1.75 liters of super bubbling boiling hot water from my electric kettle to blanch the sprouts and a grated carrot in a plastic colander. Pouring the boiling water over them made them just the right texture - crunchy tender and clean. Awesome to be able to slam out in under 10 minutes too! Used white and black sesame seeds I toasted in a dry pan until they were popping. They sizzled when poured onto the sprouts - next time I'll do that the table. It'll get oohs and aaahs. Total keeper recipe that I may sub in finely shredded cabbage when I don't have sprouts. TYTYTY!
This is really delish. I thought the sprouts would be "soggy" but they are still lovely and crisp. The seasonings are wonderful and with good balance. I served with with kalbe style ribs, cucumber kim chee, and namul salad.