Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
My mom doesn't make this dish unless it's Lunar New Year. But we can buy it in corner stores in Hanoi all year round. Prep time doesn't include overnight soaking.
- 1 kg mung beans (still in shell)
- 1 kg granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Soak mung bean overnight, pick out all bad beans.
- Remove shell/skin of the rest, let dry.
- Dry toast sesame in a hot shallow pan.
- Let cool.
- Boil mung beans in a pot until tender, about 50 minutes to 1 hour.
- Strain off water and process them into paste (using mortar, food processor).
- Add sugar, mix thoroughly and leave for 1 hour.
- Pour mixture into a large surface pan or pot and cook over low heat, stir constantly until it becomes a thick paste (thicker than mashed potatoes).
- Mix in vanilla.
- Spoon the pudding onto 6 small plates, press them down firmly.
- Sprinkle sesame seeds on top.
- Best served with green tea.