A wonderful crunchy slaw with a zippy Asian dressing! A quick and easy delight! You may easily double the recipe(or triple, etc.). Made for RSC January, 2009.
- 1 cup broccoli slaw mix
- 1⁄2 cup baby carrots, chopped small
- 1⁄2 cup cucumber, chopped
- 1 scallion, sliced thin
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil (I used corn oil)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1⁄8 cup rice vinegar
- 1 -2 teaspoon peanut butter
- 1⁄8 cup sugar (more or less to taste)
- Mix the broccoli slaw, carrots, cucumbers, scallion and cilantro in a medium bowl.
- In a jar, mix the oil, soy sauce, sesame oil, rice vinegar, peanut butter, sugar, salt and pepper. Stir vigorously to mix(or you could mix in a food processor or blender).
- Pour over salad and toss well to mix.
Made this as an alternate to our usual dinner salad and we enjoyed the taste. I was generous in most of the veggie measurements. The cucumber was seeded and I used 2 scallions. I used probably about 1/8 C of cilantro and it was still a very distinct flavor and I would probably use less next time or leave it out. It seemed that this could use the addition of peanuts or fried wontons chips or something for a bit more crunch and texture. A good basic recipe though.
So very awesome! I love broccoli slaw salads and this was a great one. I used extra veggies, enough for three main meal sized servings and my family ate the entire thing right up. Don't skip the cilantro - it compliments the peanut butter dressing perfectly! You've got a winner here - will be making again!