Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
I grew up with this recipe of my mother's and it is well loved by all.
- 1 (425 g) can tomato puree
- 2 liters beef stock, made by using marrow bones
- 1⁄2-1 bunch chopped celery leaves
- 1⁄2 cup rice
- 500 g ground beef
- 1 egg
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup dry breadcrumbs
- Mix the meatball mix and roll into marble sized balls.
- Mix the soup ingredients[except rice] together and heat gently until simmering.
- Add the rice and meatballs 30 minutes before serving.
So simple, yet so yummy. I remember my mother making something just like this when I was a little girl. And even though our mothers were as far apart as two mothers could be, we both have the same memories. I followed the recipe almost to the letter, except I used matzoh meal instead of breadcrumbs. After all, my mother knew better, didn't she? Thanks so much for taking me back, I haven't had this in years!