1/5 Photos of Mum's Special Spice Cake
2 hrs 20 mins
Mum made these every year. TRUE! HINT: The longer you leave it, the better it tastes too! She's had MANY requests for this recipe over the years, yes! Want to know why? If you try it, you won't have to guess! UPDATES!!!!! I made 4 of them yesterday and found I lowered to oven temperature to about 165 degrees Celsius; they each took about 55 minutes to cook! The cake is done when a skewer comes out clean, but you don't want to be opening and closing the oven door a lot. ALSO: While Mum's directions indicated GREASE WELL, it does not mean A LOT, just that the surface is covered with lard and then lightly floured. I was also wondering if a sugar icing was not on it but I can't remember and can no longer ask Mum as she has now passed away! :) Hope this helps someone!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Bring sugar, hot water, salt, cinnamon, allspice, Crisco, and raisins to a boil and SIMMER 5 minutes.
- 2Meanwhile, COMBINE 2 teaspoons baking soda and 1 tablespoon HOT water.
- 3ADD baking soda and HOT water combined to boiled mixture. Do not mix in, just pour in and it WILL sizzle/bubble.
- 4MUST COOL mixture to room temperature.
- 5When cool, mix in 3 cups flour.
- 6Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about 55 minutes to an hour.
- 7Cake is best left for 3 to 4 days before serving.
- 8HINT: Looks nice if baked in a fluted Bundt* pan and can be wrapped in aluminum foil.
- 10NOTE: To prevent the cake from sticking, it is IMPORTANT that all the creases of the fluted sides are WELL greased with Crisco and floured before pouring in batter.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mum's Special Spice Cake
Serving Size: 1 (149 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 461.8
- Calories from Fat 28
- Total Fat 3.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 725.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 107.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 68.8 g
- Protein 5.4 g