Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
This was my mother's recipe, one of my favourite desserts as a child
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄8 cups flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar
- 2 (28 ounce) cans peaches, slices. halves
- soften shortening and add sugar gradually. Add beaten egg and beat until it is fluffy. Sift flour, salt and baking powder together, and add alternately with milk and vanilla. Beat well after each addition.
- Melt butter for topping and pour into baking pan. Sprinkle brown sugar over the butter. Drain peaches and arrange fruit over the butter-sugar base.
- Grease pan around edges above the base. pour the batter on top of the topping. It will not cover entirely, but it will be close, and will expand when baked.
- Bake in a preheated 350 F oven for 45 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes and turn cake upside-down, and patch if needed.