Recipe by Sassy Syrah
This is a soup my mum made after every Christmas using the ham bone. It is true comfort food. Since it is summer in Australia at that time, I have frozen it in preparation for autumn/winter.
Top Review by sugarpea
Claire, this soup ROCKS! Just ask Dh. I loved it, too. I can't believe the two of us ate that much soup! I ended up finishing this on the stovetop-seems my crockpot no longer works on low. It then finished in about 45 minutes. I used half chicken broth/half water and 1 cup of each of the split peas for half a recipe. Use 2 cups of yellow and 2 cups of green for the full recipe. I forgot to add the vinegar, but I don't think the soup needed it. Ten Stars!!
- 1 ham bone, meaty
- 1 (500 g) packet yellow split peas
- 1 (500 g) packetgreen split peas
- 2 onions, finely diced
- 2 bay leaves
- salt & pepper
- white wine vinegar
- chopped parsley (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cover peas with plenty of water and soak overnight.
- Drain well.
- Place bone, and additional ham, with onions and bay leaves, soaked peas in a 5L slow cooker.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover with sufficient water.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Stir occasionally if you like but it is not necessary.
- Add vinegar to taste.
- (I add a soupspoon at a time, but it depends on your individual taste) Serve with freshly baked (or warmed) bread and a garnish of chopped parsley.
- You may need to dilute the soup after cooking depending on the size of your slow cooker.