Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
A real kid pleaser
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 1⁄2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1 (19 ounce) can tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- buttered breadcrumbs (optional)
- Heat butter, saute onions until transparent.
- Place in 2 quart casserole.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Stir well, breaking the tomatoes into small pieces.
- Bake at 350F for 65 mins or til macaroni is tender.
- Top with buttered crumbs during last 10 mins of baking if desired.
- Excellent meal with sausages and a salad.
I've had this recipe since the 60s but it goes back even farther. It was often made on Mondays because Mondays were always wash day. Wash day way back when took hours as you either did the wash by hand, or you might have been lucky enough to have one of those new fangled wringer washers that cut the wash day down to 3/4s of a day instead of a full day! There was not much time for cooking a meal from scratch on Mondays, & that's how recipes like this were born.
This recipe is spot on for original ingredients, but it is missing the 1 cup of cubed old cheddar cheese. If you make it again, add your favorite cheddar, you'll find it tastes quite pleasing. Also, try covering the dish for the first 30 minutes, take off the lid or foil, add your buttered crumbs and bake uncovered for another 15 minutes or until done to your liking.
This is a recipe I've had since I was married in 1973. It was the only recipe that would compete with Kraft Dinner, that my boys wanted to eat. That's saying something I think. Its got a clean fresh taste, and they welcomed it as a tasty alternative that measured up. It can be adapted depending on the veggies you have to use up. It also is very economical, for the budget conscious homemaker in tough times.
This was easy and good. Mine turned out a little drier than I would have liked. The noodles were also a little overcooked at 60 minutes. Be sure and check before then. I added chopped up celery also. Made for I Recommend Tag Game 2010.