Recipe by Northern_Reflectionz
A real kid pleaser
Top Review by joyfull40
I've had this recipe since the 60s but it goes back even farther. It was often made on Mondays because Mondays were always wash day. Wash day way back when took hours as you either did the wash by hand, or you might have been lucky enough to have one of those new fangled wringer washers that cut the wash day down to 3/4s of a day instead of a full day! There was not much time for cooking a meal from scratch on Mondays, & that's how recipes like this were born.
This recipe is spot on for original ingredients, but it is missing the 1 cup of cubed old cheddar cheese. If you make it again, add your favorite cheddar, you'll find it tastes quite pleasing. Also, try covering the dish for the first 30 minutes, take off the lid or foil, add your buttered crumbs and bake uncovered for another 15 minutes or until done to your liking.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 1⁄2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1 (19 ounce) can tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- buttered breadcrumbs (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat butter, saute onions until transparent.
- Place in 2 quart casserole.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Stir well, breaking the tomatoes into small pieces.
- Bake at 350F for 65 mins or til macaroni is tender.
- Top with buttered crumbs during last 10 mins of baking if desired.
- Excellent meal with sausages and a salad.