Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Isn't it great when you eat something and it takes you back to being a child again! Well that’s exactly what this dip does for me. My mum used to make this every time she threw a party or had people for drinks and nibbles. I would always have my own bowl and my own box of crackers and I would go off to some quiet spot and stuff my little face! I still love it now, so much so that I spoon it out of the pan while I'm cooking it (although I am trying to exercise more self control). This is such a quick and easy dip to make with stuff that you would normally have in the house, so a great standby for when people turn up unexpectedly. As for tasting like chicken? Well, I’ll let you decide...but I was never convinced. Either way it tastes great!
- 1 ounce butter
- 1 small onion (diced)
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, cheese-grated
- 2 tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon mixed herbs
- 1 beaten egg
- Ritz cracker, to serve
- Melt the butter in a saucepan. Add the diced onion and cook until they soften.
- Add the cheese and stir as it melts.
- Add the peeled, seeded and finely diced tomato along with the mixed herbs.
- Stir in the beaten egg and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Mix it all together and pour into a serving bowl.
- Serve warm (not hot) or at room temperature with Ritz or crackers of your choice.
- NB: You will need spoons with this; it’s more of a dollop and spread dip than a dipping one!
Made this along with another dip for a group I hosted, & had a bit of a time convincing skeptics that the chicken was not 'mock' ~ It was for real, & just because it was an egg didn't mean it wasn't really a chicken! Ah, well! Made this according to the recipe & we were very happy with the results! I liked it with the large corn chip scoops & on small pieces of whole grain bread, but most others used it as a cracker spread! Great tasting, however you do it! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Tagged & made in Please Review My Recipe]
Other than using 1/2 onion, made recipe as written. Great spread !! Enjoyed it while watching the football games. Served it on Saltine crackers. YUM YUM !! m Made for PRMR tag.
This was so easy and yummy! I used sun-dried tomatoes and then added some garlic powder along with poultry seasoning for the herbs and red pepper. We ate it with butter crackers!