Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
I love macaroni cheese, especially when I can smuggle veg into it.
- 280 ml milk
- 150 g macaroni
- 30 g butter (or similar)
- 40 g plain flour
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard powder
- 50 g grated cheddar cheese
- 50 g shallots, diced
- 50 g broccoli
- 50 g bacon, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 20 g breadcrumbs (a handful)
- 20 g grated parmesan cheese
- Boil Macaroni and brocoli for 10 minutes.
- Melt the butter in a pan, add shallots and bacon.
- Stir in the flour, paprika and mustard powderto make a paste.
- Gradually add the ,milk to the paste whilst stirring to make a smooth sauce. Once thickened slightly add Cheddar, remove from heat and stir.
- Put macaroni and brocoli into an ovenproof dish, then add the cheese and bacon sauce, stir.
- Arrange tomatoes slices to cover the macaroni cheese, then cover with breadcrumbs and parmesan.
- Pop in the oven for 20 minutes at gas mark 7/ 425 Fahrenheit/220 Celsius.
Good dish. I increased the milk, as we like a less dry mac 'n cheese. I used panko instead of regular breadcrumbs. :)
Great flavor, though it got a little dry with baking. Next time will use a little more milk or a little less macaroni. Was really craving macaroni and cheese and this hit the spot, thank you!