Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a dish I came up with, for my daughter's Easter dinner. It is full of flavour. Cooking time does not include overnight refrigeration.
- 3 1⁄2 lbs chicken (spatchcocked)
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter (softened)
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 1 tablespoon dried greek oregano
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, minced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 -6 garlic cloves, whole
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 2 tablespoons white wine
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 2 teaspoons dried greek oregano
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons butter
- salt & pepper
- Spatchcock the chicken - this means to open it up down the back and remove backbone. This allows you to cook it whole but all spread out.
- Mix 1/4 Cup unsalted butter (softened),1 Tbsp kosher salt, Zest of 1 lemon, 1 Tbsp dried Greek oregano, 1 Tbsp fresh thyme minced, and 4 garlic cloves minced, together in a small bowl until well blended.
- Loosen skin from carcass of chicken gently with out tearing and shove gobs of butter mixture inside. Massage gently on the outside to distribute evenly. Do try to get it all over the breast and legs & thighs.
- Tuck wing tips under.
- Refrigerate over night.
- Arrange 4 - 6 garlic cloves 1 lemon sliced in bottom of 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Place chicken on top of lemon and garlic.
- Mix together basting sauce ingredients and brush all overt skin before baking and several time during baking.
- Roast at 400°F for 35 - 45 minute.
- If skin gets too brown tent loosely with foil.