I have no idea where my Mum found this recipe, but I am so glad she did. This is a great dish, with a good amount of sauce. Just remember to only use ½ a box of macaroni! I wouldn't recommend baking it, it dries up. I hope you love this as much as I do!
- 8 ounces cooked macaroni (al dente)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 8 slices of microwaveable bacon, cut 1/2 inch (Don't microwave it)
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon coleman's English mustard powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- ground black pepper
- breadcrumbs (optional)
- 1 sliced tomato (optional)
- cheese, for topping
- Melt butter in a pot over a medium heat and add the onion.Cook until transparent.
- Add the bacon.
- Take off the heat and mix in flour (until it forms a ball) and gradually stir in milk with a whisk.
- Return the pot to the heat and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat and simmer for a few minutes.
- Add the mustard and pepper and whisk in two cups of cheese (or more to taste).
- When it is blended well, add in the cooked macaroni and transfer to a large casserole dish or 9x13 pan. Top with the remainder of the cheese and sprinkle with breadcrumbs (I spray a little Pam on the breadcrumbs to help it brown better). Top with sliced tomato.
- Place under the broiler until cheese is bubbly.