1/1 Photo of Mum's Homemade Macaroni Cheese With Bacon
I have no idea where my Mum found this recipe, but I am so glad she did. This is a great dish, with a good amount of sauce. Just remember to only use ½ a box of macaroni! I wouldn't recommend baking it, it dries up. I hope you love this as much as I do!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 ounces cooked macaroni (al dente)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 8 slices of microwaveable bacon, cut 1/2 inch (Don't microwave it)
- 1/3 cup flour
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon coleman's English mustard powder
- 1 1/2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- ground black pepper
- breadcrumbs (optional)
- 1 sliced tomato (optional)
- cheese, for topping
- 1Melt butter in a pot over a medium heat and add the onion.Cook until transparent.
- 2Add the bacon.
- 3Take off the heat and mix in flour (until it forms a ball) and gradually stir in milk with a whisk.
- 4Return the pot to the heat and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat and simmer for a few minutes.
- 5Add the mustard and pepper and whisk in two cups of cheese (or more to taste).
- 6When it is blended well, add in the cooked macaroni and transfer to a large casserole dish or 9x13 pan. Top with the remainder of the cheese and sprinkle with breadcrumbs (I spray a little Pam on the breadcrumbs to help it brown better). Top with sliced tomato.
- 7Place under the broiler until cheese is bubbly.
Browse Our Top Elbow Macaroni Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Elbow Macaroni Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mum's Homemade Macaroni Cheese With Bacon
Serving Size: 1 (337 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 483.5
- Calories from Fat 249
- Total Fat 27.6 g
- Saturated Fat 14.9 g
- Cholesterol 76.7 mg
- Sodium 473.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 1.7 g
- Protein 22.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: