Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 10 mins
This is a recipe I always want whenever I am sick or have a cold. It always reminds me of my childhood. Don't be put off by the long list of ingredients. It is very easy to make, and so yummy!
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean hamburger
- 1 (10 ounce) can tomato soup
- 28 ounces canned tomatoes
- 1 (19 ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinced
- 1 (19 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinced
- 1⁄8 cup dried lentils
- 1⁄8 cup barley
- 1⁄2 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 cup carrot, diced
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce (I guesstimate this)
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce (use more or less, depending on the heat you want)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 -2 cup water, enough to fill the dutch oven you are using
- 1 cup light cheddar cheese
- In a large pot (Dutch oven), place diced onions, garlic and hamburger. Stir and cook until done. Drain off the majority of the fat from the pot.
- Add canned tomatoes, tomato soup, chick peas, kidney beans, lentils, barley, vegetables and seasoning. Add approx 2 cups of water, to thin out soup a little.
- Bring to a boil, and then simmer for approx 1 hour, or until barley and lentils have softened.
- Dish soup into bowls and top with small amount of grated cheese.