Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is based on French-Canadian Pea Soup. My Mum used to add dumplings to the pot so it made a very satifsying meal in itself.
- 1 lb yellow split peas
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 2 medium carrots, grated
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 teaspoons chicken bouillon powder
- 1 ham bone
- 7 cups water
- 1 cup ham, diced
- Saute onions,celery and carrot in oil till softened.
- Add in the remaining ingredients except diced ham.
- Bring to a boil then simmer for 2 hours ,stirring occaisionally until split peas are softened.
- Add in diced ham and simmer till ham is heated.
- Serve with a nice crusty loaf.