Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
My dear little mum made this for as long as I can remember. The icing isn't really part of this recipe but I added it at the bottom as my kids will access their grandmother's recipe from here and I just guess quantities.
- 1 cup sugar, I used a little less
- 125 g butter (1/2 cup)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup self raising flour, a little more
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon raspberry jam
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- Cream butter and sugar, then add eggs one at a time.
- Add cocoa, jam & vanilla, mix.
- Sift flour, add flour and milk alternately, starting and finishing with flour.
- Bake 35mins 200degC (400defF) – lower for fan forced 180degC (350degF).
- Chocolate icing:.
- Butter, icing sugar, cocoa, hot water.
- Mix icing sugar, cocoa and butter together until smooth; add a little hot water, a little at a time, continue beating - this takes away the sugary taste and makes it smooth.