Recipe by Gail '80
I remember mum doing this pie when I was still a child, and I loved it and still do. It's perfect for Christmas time, but i do it throughout the year.
- 500 g sweet pastry dough
- 500 g ground almonds
- 500 g granulated sugar
- 200 g semi plain sweet biscuits
- 100 ml whiskey
- 4 drops almond essence
- 3 eggs
- 100 g candied citrus peel
- 200 g glace cherries, cut in quarters
- water, if needed
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius.
- Crush biscuits finely.
- Add beaten eggs, sugar, whiskey and essence.
- Leave to soak for 30 minutes.
- Add to the mixture ground almonds, mixed peels and cherries.
- Place the pastry into a greased dish.
- Pour mixture into the pastry.
- Bake for 55mins or until set.
- Let cool before serving.