Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is my lovely bonkers mum's recipe!!! It is easy to make and always turns out good and moist.
- 4 ounces margarine
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 2 teaspoons mixed spice
- 1 cup sultana
- 1 cup currants or 1 cup mixed fruit
- 1 cup brown sugar or 1 cup white sugar
- 2 cups self raising flour
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 170c.
- Put all ingredients into a large saucepan - EXCEPT EGG & FLOUR.
- Stir while bringing to the boil. Boil for 5 minutes.
- Cool for 10 minutes.
- Beat the egg in & flour when COOL.
- Put into greased 7" tin bake for 1hr and quarter. If you have a fan oven turn the heat slightly lower.
This was awesome! Though mine only needed 3/4 hr cooking at 170 degrees and my oven isn't fan assisted!?! Will be making again!
Loved this cake, it was very easy to put together and turn out wonderful (see photo)I didn't put the mixed spice in as the kids don't like it. It has been made for 3 days now and it's still in great shape, it hasn't dried out at all..I'm kind of amazed that it has lasted that long actually...could be coz of the post-it note stuck on the tin saying "lunch boxes only"!!! lol Thanks Karen..I'll definatly be making this again.
So happy to have adopted this "orphan" for the PAC Fall '06 game. This cake is a real treat. Moister than most fruit cakes, easy to make and tastes great. Used 1/2 cup raisins and 11/2 cup mixed dried fruit cut into small pieces (that's what I had on hand). Used white sugar and next time I'll try it with brown sugar, should give it an intenser (if that is possible) flavour. The spice mix I used was a mix of cardamon, ginger, cinnamon, allspice, cloves, and a little pepper. Will certainly make again, thanks for posting.