Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
My mother used to make this simple and delicious cabbage curry. It is from Hyderabad, India.
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon gingerroot, crushed and chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4-1⁄3 small cabbage, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 onion
- Chop onions and brown in butter.
- Mix spices, tomato paste and ginger to a paste and add to onions.
- Simmer on medium heat for a couple of minutes.
- Add cabbage.
- Stir, adding a bit of water as needed until cooked.
This was really great! At the point of adding the cabbage, I added water as written (about 1/4 cup), then covered and let it simmer for about 10-12 minutes. This recipe gives cabbage an exotic flavor with very little time and effort. Loved it. Thanx!