Prep 10 mins
Cook 12 hrs
This recipe is from the little penguin, Mumble, in the Happy Feet movie. They are really good especially if you like creamsicles . Tip: Ice cream filled oranges can be returned to freezer before drizzling with topping until ready to serve.
- 2 oranges
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- 8 ounces vanilla ice cream or 8 ounces vanilla frozen yogurt
- 1 tablespoon caramel topping or 1 tablespoon butterscotch topping
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Cut off top of the oranges and scoop out pulp with a melon baler or serrated spoon down to the pith, or white membrane, inside orange.
- Reserve 3 tablespoons of juice.
- Cut off a thin slice from bottom of each orange so they will stand without rolling, being careful not to puncture bottom of the oranges.
- Soften ice cream in refrigerator for about 10 minutes. Stir in orange juice and mix well. Place ice cream mixture and empty orange shells in freezer overnight.
- In a small bowl, combine topping and honey. With an ice cream scoop, fill orange shells with ice cream mixture. Drizzle 1 tablespoon topping mixture over each orange.
- Serve immediately.
My mom helped me make these for a planned play date. My friends and I thought they were fun to eat, and my mom liked that they were something different.