Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is great for lemon meringue pies, cake filling and as a spread for toast or English muffins.
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 lemons, juice and zest of
- 1⁄4 cup butter (60g)
- 1⁄2 cup water, approximately
- Put the lemon juice into a cup measure, then make up to a full cup with water.
- Put all ingredients into a saucepan and boil (don't just simmer) for 10 minutes, stirring constantly after it boils - must not stir until it has boiled or it will go candied.
- As Chef Dudo mentioned in her review, it thickens on cooling.
The timing for this recipe must be off because I stirred like a mad woman for 10 minutes of boiling and ended up with a burnt brown mess that I need to soak out of my pan. I used the timer too. I think it probably should have been closer to a simmer and not an actual boil.
YUMMY LEMONY GOODNESS!! THis was soo simple to maje and very tasty! Will Make again
Hubby asked: "Is five stars the most you can give?" This was just great. At first I thought that the flour wouldn't "melt" in but when it started boiling it blended just fine. Boiled it for exactly 10 minutes and then it was still runny. Decided NOT to boil it for longer which was a good decision. When it had cooled down it took on the thickness of a spread. The next day I baked a round plain white cake, let it cool and divided it. Spread about two tablespoons of the lemon spread in between. Heavenly! Divided the rest of the spread in three and froze it. Couple of days later I took out one portion and used it on toast. So happy to have found this. Thanks for sharing.