2 hrs 45 mins
Sandra Hyde's Note:
MultiMeat Pie. Recipe created the the "Ready, Set, Cook" competition in June 2002. I basically adapted an existing medieval recipe which my friends have all enjoyed. Have fun with the polenta 'pie case'. You can always substitute a regular pastry case for the polenta.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs ground beef
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ginger
- 2 cups cooked boneless skinless chicken breasts, chopped
- 2 cups cooked pork tenderloin, chopped
- 4 dates, chopped
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- 2 hardboiled egg
- 1 tablespoon currants
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon mace
- 4 mushrooms, cut into thin slices (your favourite sort)
For the Polenta Crust
- 1 1/2 cups polenta (only powdered form available in Australia.)
- 2 ounces parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 7 1/2 cups milk, and water mixed
- ground black pepper
For the sauce
- 1Prepare the polenta the night before: In a large saucepan, bring the milk and water to the boil and stir in the salt.
- 2While stirring with a wooden spoon, trickle the polenta into the boiling liquid in a steady stream and continue stirring until the mixture has thickened.
- 3Lower the heat and simmer gently for about 20 minutes, stirring very frequently.
- 4Add the butter, grated parmesan cheese and pepper.
- 5Lightly grease a shallow roasting pan and pour in the polenta mixture.
- 6Cool then chill overnight.
- 7For the pie: Grease a deep pie dish.
- 8Cut out a circle (or square) of the polenta-- enough to make a pie crust top reaching to the edges of the pie dish.
- 9Set it aside.
- 10Cut a similar piece for the bottom of the dish.
- 11Line the sides of the dish with the remaining polenta.
- 12(So the entire*pie crust* will be made of polenta).
- 13In a small bowl mix the ground beef, 1/8 tsp cinnamon, ground cloves and ginger, salt and pepper.
- 14Steep for 15 minutes.
- 15In a second bowl, mix the chicken, dates, currants ¼ teaspoon cinnamon, nutmeg and mace and chicken stock.
- 16Allow to steep In a third bowl combine the pork and all the sauce ingredients.
- 17Allow to steep for 15 minutes.
- 18Around the outer edge of the pie case pack in the steeped beef.
- 19Just inside the beef, pack in the steeped chicken/fruit mix.
- 20Just inside the chicken, pack in the steeped pork.
- 21This should leave a*hole* in the centre for the two hard boiled eggs.
- 22Sprinkle sliced mushrooms across the top of the meats.
- 23Brush the topsides of the polenta with a little melted butter and cover the pie mix with the polenta top (previously set aside).
- 24Brush the top of the polenta with melted butter.
- 25Bake the pie for 15 minutes at 425F, then reduce the heat and cook for about another 30 minutes at 350F (until the polenta is evenly browned do not allow to burn).
- 26Serve with cooked artichoke hearts, stir-fried broccoli florets and cooked ramen noodles.
- 27You could always serve the beans and a lettuce/cilantro salad as a side dish.
- 28For a desert, make Peach Melba take cooked peach halves, top each with 1 teaspoon raspberry jam and top that with scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for MultiMeat Pie
Serving Size: 1 (306 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 478.1
- Calories from Fat 231
- Total Fat 25.7 g
- Saturated Fat 11.8 g
- Cholesterol 144.5 mg
- Sodium 423.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 33.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
boneless skinless chicken breasts