Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Healthy, delicious, moist, decadent yet very rich in nutrients, fiber, protein, low in fat. Perfect for dessert or for breakfast. One of my favorite quick breakfast sources. Very adaptable. Created in the Middle East using whatever ingredients were available. Adapt to what you have on hand and your own tastes/nutritional needs. Top with a mixture of oats and sugar or shredded coconut and a sweetener to be really decadent. Make it darker by using black strap molasses, use chunks of candied ginger (and decrease the sugar amount), add or substitute zucchini/squash/etc for carrots. Stores very well in the fridge. I usually make a big batch and cut it into squares and freeze. Makes a full 11x13 pan.
- 2 carrots (or zucchini or squash or yams, pumpkin)
- 3 apples (can substitute)
- 1 hand sized amount of whole ginger
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 3 eggs (increase if you want more protein)
- 1 1⁄2 cups uncooked oatmeal
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1⁄2-2 cups plain yogurt
- 1⁄2 cup crushed almonds (more or less to taste or another type of nut)
- 1⁄2 cup molasses (you can substitute 1 C sugar cane syrup or date syrup for the molasses and brown sugar)
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar (to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup ground flax seeds (or any mix of ground seeds i.e. pumpkin, sesame, etc)
- 1⁄4 cup whole flax seed
- 1 cup water (add more if needed, you want the batter to be very wet)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 2 -3 tablespoons cinnamon
- 3 cups oatmeal
- 1⁄4 whole flax seed
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 -3 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons sugar (more to taste)
- lots sea salt (to taste)
- 1. Pre-heat oven to 350°F.
- 2. Combine all the ingredients, except topping, into large bowl, stir to combine.
- 3. Lightly oil baking pans and sprinkle with demerara/turbinado sugar for sweet crunchy crust.
- 4. Pour mixture into baking pans, filling about ½ way full since batter will rise while cooking.
- 5. Sprinkle topping over batter and bake for 1 hour or until middle of pan is solid aka no longer jiggles. The bread should be very moist.
- 6. Remove, slice into bars and freeze what you won’t eat within a week. It will last forever in the freezer.