4 hrs 45 mins
This is a good, hearty bread that makes a substantial companion to a lighter entree. It's also nice toasted, with butter. It's my first original yeasted bread recipe, so feedback is appreciated. Don't let the long instructions scare you away. It's not as complicated as it sounds, especially if you're accustomed to making yeasted bread.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup prepared hot multigrain cereal (I like Bob's Red Mill 10 grain)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup lukewarm water
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon gluten (optional)
- 2 tablespoons powdered milk
- 2 tablespoons sugar or 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1To make the dough in a bread machine: put the dough ingredients in the bread pan in the order listed and running the dough cycle.
- 2Peek at the dough after a few minutes to make sure that the dough is neither too dry or too wet.
- 3It should be somewhat sticky and soft, but it should pull away from the sides of the pan when the machine kneads it.
- 4If it is too wet, add additional flour 2 Tbsp at a time.
- 5If it's too dry, add 1-2 Tbsp of water.
- 6If you adjusted the consistency, check it again after a few more minutes of kneading.
- 7This sounds more complicated than a normal bread machine recipe, but I promise, it's still easy.
- 8If you had to adjust the consistency a lot, you may want to reset the machine and start the dough cycle over to make sure it gets kneaded properly.
- 9When the dough cycle is complete, continue to step 21.
- 10To make the dough by hand: combine the water, sweetener and yeast, until completely dissolved.
- 11Combine the remaining dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl, and stir until mixed.
- 12Combine the hot cereal and the yeast mixture and pour into a well in the dry ingredients.
- 13With a wooden spoon, stir the dry ingredients into the wet a little at a time, first forming a thin batter, then a dough.
- 14When it gets too thick to stir, turn it out onto a counter and begin kneading.
- 15As with the bread machine instructions, adjust the consistency of the dough as you're kneading.
- 16This dough will be sticky, but should still be able to be kneaded.
- 17Knead for 20-30 minutes.
- 18Return dough to the mixing bowl, and let rise, covered, until about doubled.
- 19This time will vary widely depending on the temperature, yeast, and other factors, but should be somewhere between one and three hours.
- 20When you poke the dough, the hole that you make should not fill in right away, and the dough should sigh slightly.
- 21Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and punch it down and knead it a couple of times.
- 22Preheat the oven to 450°F, with a baking stone inside if you have one.
- 23Roll the dough up into a log about 12-14 inches long.
- 24Sprinkle a pizza peel or a cookie sheet with no sides liberally with the dry hot cereal and put the loaf in the middle.
- 25Brush the loaf with water and sprinkle with the poppy seeds and cover with a damp towel.
- 26Allow the loaf to rise for about 45 minutes, or until approximately double.
- 27Slash the top diagonally with a sharp knife.
- 28Put the loaf in the oven, directly on the baking stone, if you are using one.
- 29For a crispier crust, spray the inside of the oven with water every couple of minutes during the first 10 minutes of baking.
- 30After 10 minutes, turn the oven down to 350°F.
- 31Bake for an additional 25-35 minutes, until the loaf is nicely browned and sounds hollow when you tap on the bottom.
- 32Cool on a rack for at least 20 minutes before slicing.
- 33If you would like to make sandwich bread instead, do the last rise in the loaf pan, and bake in a greased loaf pan at 350°F for 35-45 minutes.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Multigrain Poppy Seed Bread
Serving Size: 1 (36 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 158.8
- Calories from Fat 26
- Total Fat 2.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 1.5 mg
- Sodium 124.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.6 g
- Sugars 3.4 g
- Protein 5.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: