Recipe by Marz
Very easy and fast to throw together. For added heart healthy boost and crunch sprinkle 1/2 cup chopped roasted almonds before serving. Recipe from Real Simple FEB 2008 edition.
- 12 ounces multi-grain penne
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 leeks, cut into half moons (white and light green parts)
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup fresh sage
- 2 small sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces (aboit 1 pound)
- 3⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions, Drain reserving 1/2 cup of the cooking water.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the leeks and cook stirring until they begin to softened, 4 minutes. Stir the garlic and sage and cook 2 minutes. Add the sweet potatoes 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper and cook covered stirring twice, until just tender 6-8 minutes.
- Stir 1/2 cup of the parmesan cheese and the reserved pasta water and simmer, stirring until potatoes are fully cooked 2-4 minutes.
- Add the cooked pasta and nutmeg and toss.
- Divide among individual bowls and sprinkle with remaining parmesan and 1/2 tsp pepper.