1/5 Photos of Multigrain Onion Rolls or Bread (Bread Machine)
3 hrs 30 mins
The original recipe for these rolls called for ingredients not common in the US. So I fiddled with it and came up with these rolls. The onion taste goes throughout but is not overwhelming. They make wonderful sandwiches or accompaniment to soup or salad.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 2 cups bread flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup rye flour
- 1/4 cup regular oatmeal or 1/4 cup quick oatmeal
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vital wheat gluten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast (one envelope)
- 1 tablespoon sunflower seeds
- 1 tablespoon steel cut oats
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1Melt the butter in a skillet and saute the chopped onions, stirring frequently, until softened and lightly browned, about 8-10 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- 2Place all ingredients except for the sunflower seeds, steel-cut oats and sesame seeds in the pan of your bread machine, in the order recommended by the manufacturer. Select the dough cycle and start.
- 3About 5 minutes before the end of the cycle, add the onions (with the butter), seeds and steel-cut oats.
- 4After dough has risen, punch it down and turn out. Divide into twelve pieces and shape as desired. Place on baking sheet dusted with cornmeal. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 40-45 minutes.
- 5Place in a preheated 400 deg. F. oven and bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes. Turn out on wire rack to cool.
- 6Note1: Adding the onion and seeds towards the end keeps them recognizeable in the finished roll, although the sesame seeds are not really visible in any event. The ball of dough will "come apart", but should come back together again.
- 7Note2: Substitute other seeds you may like, such as poppy or flax. Also feel free to change the proportion of the flours, but I find that the above makes a really nicely flavored bread.
- 8Note3: This can also be baked as a loaf, for about 35 minutes or until tests done.
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Multigrain Onion Rolls or Bread (Bread Machine)
Serving Size: 1 (1011 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 192.3
- Calories from Fat 50
- Total Fat 5.6 g
- Saturated Fat 2.6 g
- Cholesterol 10.1 mg
- Sodium 223.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 1.6 g
- Protein 5.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
vital wheat gluten