Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
I found this recipe on another website and have made it a couple of times with excellent results. They are both healthy and tasty. For the dried fruit, I use a mixture of whatever I have on hand in the pantry - raisins, cranberries, blueberries and apricots all taste great together.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup oat bran
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg white
- 1 1⁄4 cups buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup mixed dried fruit, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners or grease well.
- Whisk the flours, oat bran, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl.
- Lightly beat the eggs and egg white in another medium bowl.
- Stir in the buttermilk, brown sugar and oil.
- Stir the liquid mixture into the flour mixture until just evenly moist; the batter will be very thick.
- Fold in the dried fruit and walnuts.
- Divide the batter evenly among the muffin cups.
- Bake until firm when pressed gently, about 25 minutes.
- Turn the muffins out of the cups and cool on a rack; serve warm or at room temperature.