1/2 Photos of Multigrain Loaf (By the Canadian Living Test Kitchen)
15 hrs 40 mins
Here is a great recipe for a Multi-Grain loaf that I would love to share with you. I have made this wonderful loaf over and over and it has turned out beautiful each time. This loaf, with its lovely wheaty flavour, even crumb and rustic artisanal look, will make even novices into confirmed bread bakers. You do have to begin the day before to mix the flour, water and yeast starter, but all three loaves – multigrain, whole wheat and white – are worth it. For all three, we used Robin Hood Best for Bread flours.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 cups multigrain whole wheat bread flour
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 tablespoons buckwheat honey (Reg. liquid honey, just as good)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 cup multigrain whole wheat bread flour
- 1/2 teaspoon multigrain whole wheat bread flour
- 2Starter: In large bowl, dissolve sugar in warm water. Sprinkle in yeast; let stand until frothy, about 10 minutes. Stir in flour, stirring until mixture is consistency of thick pancake batter, about 2 minutes. Cover with plastic wrap; let stand in warm place until bubbly and puffy, and wheaty aroma develops, 8 to 12 hours.
- 3Stir in 3-1/4 cups (800 mL) of the flour, warm water, honey and salt to make soft sticky dough.
- 4Turn out onto generously floured surface; knead, dusting with as much of the remaining flour as necessary to prevent sticking, until smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes. Form into ball; place in greased bowl, turning to grease all over. Cover dough with plastic wrap; let rise in warm place until doubled in bulk, 1 to 1-1/2 hours.
- 5Grease 9- x 5-inch (2 L) loaf pan; set aside.
- 6Punch down dough. Shape into ball; cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Press into 11- x 8-inch (28 x 20 cm) rectangle. Starting at short end, roll up into cylinder; pinch along bottom and ends to seal. Fit, seam side down, into prepared pan. Cover with clean tea towel and let rise in warm place until doubled in bulk, 1 to 1-1/2 hours.
- 7Topping: Dust top of loaf with flour. Slash top lengthwise down centre, starting and ending about 1 inch (2.5 cm) from edges of pan. Bake in centre of 375°F (190°C) oven until instant-read thermometer registers 215°F (102°C) and loaf is golden and sounds hollow when tapped on bottom, 50 to 60 minutes. Transfer to rack; let cool.
- 8Additional Information
- 10Unbleached White Loaf:
- 11Replace multigrain bread flour with unbleached white bread flour. Replace buckwheat honey with mild liquid honey.
- 12Whole Wheat Loaf:
- 13Replace multigrain bread flour with whole wheat bread flour.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Multigrain Loaf (By the Canadian Living Test Kitchen)
Serving Size: 1 (91 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 173.3
- Calories from Fat 11
- Total Fat 1.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 293.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.5 g
- Sugars 0.5 g
- Protein 6.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: