I love my kefir, but need more way to use it. This is something I came up with that Mr Grumpy asked for breakfast again the next day. These are not fluffy pancakes - they are rather dense, stick-to-the-ribs cakes. The multigrain mix I used (barley, rye, oats and wheat) had a bit of chewiness to it even after soaking, which I liked. I forgot the sugar once when making these, and I think the pancakes did not suffer at all, especially if served with something sweet. Serve with maple syrup or a good jam or applesauce.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup kefir or 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup multigrain cereal, quick-cooking (3 to 5 minutes)
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar (optional)
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1Place the cereal in a small bowl, pour in the kefir and let it stand overnight. (I have soaked these for only 2 hours and they were fine, but that might not work with all cereal mixes).
- 2Beat in the egg, the melted butter and the vanilla.
- 3Whisk together the dry ingredients, then stir them into the wet ingredients just until combined. If it seems a bit thick, add more kefir or some milk.
- 4Heat a griddle and grease as you prefer - I use some ghee or clarified butter.
- 5Drop generous tablespoons of batter and cook until you see bubbles on the surface; turn over, and cook until the second side is golden.
- 6(The spoon I used is bigger than a tablespoon, I think, but I've never really measured. The pancakes should not be too large).
Browse Our Top Pancakes and Waffles Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Multigrain Kefir Pancakes
Serving Size: 1 (45 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 112.7
- Calories from Fat 74
- Total Fat 8.3 g
- Saturated Fat 4.4 g
- Cholesterol 108.2 mg
- Sodium 411.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 0.1 g
- Protein 4.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
vanilla bean paste