Prep 1 hr 45 mins
Cook 45 mins
This recipe comes from my Betty Crocker cookbook, though I have adapted it somewhat. This loaf rises quite high and makes great sandwich bread. Although it is supposed to be a 1.5 lb loaf, it worked as a 2 lb loaf for me.
- 1 1⁄4 cups warm water
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 1⁄3 cups bread flour
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2⁄3 cup multigrain cereal
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons instant yeast
- If making in a bread maker, put all ingredients in bread machine pan and cook on the whole wheat cycle.
- If making in a stand mixer, combine water, sugar, salt, margarine and yeast.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Knead until a smooth ball forms, about 3-5 minutes.
- Let dough rise for 45 minutes.
- Punch down and form into a loaf.
- Place in greased loaf pan.
- Let rise for 45 minutes.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
Great tasty bread, perfect for toast or sandwiches! I used ground oatmeal for the multigrain cereal and really liked the texture it gave the bread. Thanks for sharing your recipe!