1/1 Photo of Multigrain Bread
An easy recipe from Canadian Living. I used pumpkin seeds as I do not care for sunflower seeds. It was suggested to cook this bread in a covection oven for a crispier crust and it was delicious. Unfortunately the crust softened overnight. Preparation time does not include the 3 1/2 hours needed for the bread to rise.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup shelled sunflower seeds
- 2 tablespoons flax seeds
- 2/3 cup rolled oats (not instant)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour (apprx.)
- 1In bowl, dissolve 1 tsp of the sugar in 1/2 cup of the warm water; sprinkle in yeast. Whisk in 1/4 cup of the whole wheat flour; set in warm place until bubbly, about 10 minutes.
- 2In large bowl, combine molasses, butter, salt and remaining sugar and warm water. Stir in sunflower seeds, flaxseeds, yeast mixture and 1/2 of the rolled oats. With wooden spoon, stir in remaining whole wheat flour and enough of the all-purpose flour to make stiff dough.
- 3Turn out onto lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, kneading in as much of the remaining white flour as necessary - about 10 minutes.
- 4Place in a large greased bowl, turning to grease all over. Cover with plastic wrap, let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk - about 2 hours.
- 5Punch dough down, turn out onto lightly floured surface. With rolling pin, flatten into 11" x 8" rectangle; firmly roll up into log and pinch seam to seal. Place, seam side down, in a greased 9" x 5" loaf pan. Cover and let rise until doubled in bulk - about 1 1/2 hours.
- 6With tip of sharp knife, make 1/2" deep slash lengthwise down centre of loaf. Brush top with water, sprinkle with remaining oats. Bake in centre of 350°F (180°C) convection oven until loaf sounds hollow when tapped on bottom - about 40 minutes. Let cool on rack.
- 7For a conventional oven - bake on centre rack at 400°F (200°C) for 30 minutes.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Multigrain Bread
Serving Size: 1 (58 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 18
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 149.4
- Calories from Fat 29
- Total Fat 3.3 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 3.3 mg
- Sodium 141.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 2.1 g
- Protein 4.4 g