Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Mmm, light crispy blueberry waffles with the benefits of fibre and antioxidants.
Make and share this Multigrain Blueberry Waffles (or Pancakes) recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat pastry flour (or whole wheat)
- 1⁄2 cup rolled oats
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 2⁄3 cups skim milk
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar (optional)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, oats, baking powder and baking soda.
- In a medium bowl, combine the milk, brown sugar, and oil; add to the flour mixture, stir until almost blended.
- Fold in blueberries until just mixed.
- In a medium bowl, beat egg whites with electric mixer until they form soft peaks.
- Fold egg white into batter.
- In a greased, heated waffle iron, pour 1/2 cup batter into the iron (will depend on the size of the iron); cook for 5 minutes, or until steam no longer escapes from under the waffle iron lid, and the waffle is golden.
- Yield 8 waffles.
- NOTE: if making pancakes, you may use 1 egg insead of 2 egg whites, however, still seperate the egg and beat the white(s).
One word.. AMAZING!! for my heart concious husband these are a great sweet breakfast treat with little saturated fats and cholesterol. i often use frozen blueberries as our growing season is short and the pricetag on fresh shoots up astronomically come winter. I double the blueberries in my girls pancaked but the hubby like a little less. What an excellent healthy breakfast. They are so good I think they are stand alone. I have yet to convince the family of this who believe syrup should be a food group unto itself.
These were pretty good! I made them into waffles, but the batter was thinner then usual and overflowed a bit. It also stuck easily, so grease well! Tasty, though.
These are good and healthy. The recipe yields 5 waffles for me instead of 8. I didn't have blueberries on hand and I added sliced bananas instead. I reduced the brownsugar as well.Thanks for sharing this recipe with us.