Prep 25 mins
Cook 10 mins
great family dinner and the kids love it
- 8 ounces carrots
- 8 ounces sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 lb minced beef
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup leek, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 cup diced button mushroom
- 4 medium tomatoes, skinned, de-seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried herbs
- 1 beef stock cube, dissolved in
- 1 2⁄3 cups boiling water
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 lbs potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 6 tablespoons milk
- white pepper
- 1 1⁄3 cups frozen peas, cooked
- 1 beaten egg
- Cook the carrots and swede/sweet potato in boiling lightly salted water for 20 minutes or until tender and then mash with the knob of butter until smooth.
- Heat half a tablespoon of the oil in a large non-stick frying pan and sauté the minced beef for 7 or 8 minutes or until the liquid has been evaporated. Remove the beef from the pan and set aside.
- Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil in a fairly large casserole and sauté the onion and leek for 3 minutes. Add the red pepper and sauté for 2 minutes, then add the mushrooms and garlic and sauté for 4 minutes. Add the tomatoes and sauté for 3 minutes. Add the tomato puree, Worcestershire sauce, herbs and beef stock and simmer for about 30 minutes. Season to taste.
- Meanwhile, boil the potatoes for 15 to 20 minutes, then drain. Return the cooked potatoes to the empty saucepan and mash together with butter, milk salt and pepper until smooth.
- Place the mashed carrots and swede in the base of a glass ovenproof dish (approximately 18cm diameter / 7.5 cm deep) or use mini dishes to make individual portions. Arrange the meat on top, then cover with a layer of cooked peas and top with a layer of potato.
- Brush the potato with the beaten egg and cook under a preheated grill for 6 to 7 minutes or until the top is browned.