Prep 40 mins
Cook 24 hrs
South Africa's version of biscotti - delicious! I was treated to these at a campsite in Namibia, and I begged for the recipe.
- 1 1⁄2 kg self raising flour
- 2 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 4 tablespoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 6 cups natural bran
- 1 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 cup dried sultana
- 750 g butter
- 1 liter buttermilk
- 4 eggs
- Mix dry ingredients.
- Melt butter and mix well with dry ingredients.
- Beat the eggs and buttermilk and mix with the other ingredients. Add milk to make sure the batter is wet.
- Bake on two large trays in preheated 180C oven for 40 minutes, or until it's brown.
- Take out of oven. Let cool.
- When cool, turn out onto cloth and let it cool again.
- Cut into dipping-sized pieces.
- Put them back into the baking trays (you'll have to stack them a bit) and bake overnight or longer at 60°C Leave the oven door open so they dry out.
- Dip in coffee or tea and enjoy!