Recipe by kusum gupta
You can custom blend any grains in this healthy morning treat and true winter comfort food. Serve it as a sweet or spicy dish. When refrigerated or frozen, it becomes stiffer and requires additional liquid.
Top Review by ladypit
I made a whole recipe of this (using oat bran for 1 cup and oatmeal for the other plus the wheat germ) and used about 7 cups of water. I actually think I could have used the whole 9 cups. This makes a different textured cereal then straight oatmeal, almost more of a mush. I thought it was pretty good. My 3 year old loved it with lots of brown sugar and some soy milk.
- 2 cups cracked wheat or 2 cups rolled oats or 2 cups oat bran or 2 cups wheat bran (or other grains)
- 1⁄2 cup wheat germ
- sugar or honey or salt and pepper (to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat 9 cups water in a pot.
- Meantime put all the grains in a 3 to 4 quart pot on low to medium heat.
- Stir for a few minutes until lightly roasted.
- Add the hot water to the grains slowly, taking care not to splash.
- Increase the heat to medium to high for a few minutes to let everything boil.
- Reduce the heat; cook half covered until the grains are soft (about 20 minutes).
- It should be like a pudding.
- Add more hot water if needed.
- Serve hot with milk and the desired seasonings.