Prep 3 mins
Cook 40 mins
I was tired of oatmeal, so I threw the grains that I had in the cupboard into a pot. Ta-da...out came this yummy cereal. Hope you enjoy it as much as I have.
- 3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons amaranth grain
- 2 tablespoons millet
- 2 tablespoons rye flakes
- 2 tablespoons cracked wheat
- 2 tablespoons steel cut oats
- 2 tablespoons flax seeds
- 1⁄3 cup dried apricot, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup raw almonds, chopped
- The grains need to equal 1 cup, so I used heaping tablespoons. The flaxseeds are in addition to the 1 cup. You can use any dried fruit and nuts you like and any combination of grains as long as the grain to water ratio is 1:3. Next time I make it, I think I'm going to try adding brown rice and quinoa into the mix. I'm also thinking of grinding the grains in the blender to make more of a creamy cereal, but I honestly don't know it that will work or not.
- Boil water. Stir in grains and flaxseeds. Cover and simmer for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in fruit and nuts. Cover and continue to cook for 15 minutes. Serve with a little soy milk and your good to go! Store leftovers in the fridge.
NOW HERE"S A GREAT TASTING CEREAL! As far as the grains are concerned, I followed the recipe exactly, having found amaranth grain in a natural health food store, & I've been a big fan of steel cut oats for some time! We liked the chewiness of this cereal, & with the inclusion of the apricots & almonds (as well as a 1/3 of a cup of dried cranberries!), this made for a wonderfully satisfying breakfast! Thanks for sharing a great recipe! [Tagged, made & reviewed for one of my adopted chefs in the Spring's Pick A Chef]