Prep 1 hr 50 mins
Cook 20 mins
A "partial" bread machine recipe. Start in the machine, and finish in your oven. Can also use a traditional mixer with a dough hook, if you wish.
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons yeast
- 1⁄4 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups bread flour
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons gluten
- 1⁄4 cup oats
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄4 cup all-bran cereal, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons wheat germ
- 1⁄4 cup Bulgar wheat
- 1 tablespoon flax seed
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sea salt
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 1 cup water
- beaten egg (for top, optional)
- flax seed (for top, optional)
- oats (for top, optional)
- wheat germ (for top, optional)
- Place ingredients into bread machine in appropriate order.
- Set machine to"manual" to knead dough.
- After manual bread machine cycle, remove machine hook from dough, and turn dough into a greased loaf pan and punch down.
- Let rise until doubled in size (about an hour).
- Keeping dough in same pan in which it rose, brush with beaten egg and sprinkle with extra flax seed, oats, and/or wheat germ (optional), and allow dough to re-rise about ten minutes.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 20-25 minutes until nicely browned.
- Remove pan from oven, and turn bread out of pan to cool on a wire rack.
- Serve with an herb butter, if you desire (I have 3 different herb butter recipes available:#27286,#27297, and#27739).
Good tasty healthy bread! I needed to add a considerable amount of extra flour but that may be because of my subsitutions I made, specifically instead of the cereal I used Fiber 1 cereal. The other changes I made was using Kosher salt (instead of sea salt) and walnut oil (instead of grapeseed oil). I used oatmeal with the egg wash as a topping. Thanks for sharing!