The word "focaccia" comes from the Latin word for "hearth" -- it was traditionally baked in the ashes of the fireplace. This particular focaccia is a savory, whole-grain version, and a perfectly indulgent way to get more grains into your diet.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (4 1/2 ounces)
- 1/2 cup steel cut oats, sometimes called Irish oats (3 1/4 ounces)
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 pinch active dry yeast
- 2 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour, plus additional as needed (9 7/8 ounces)
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour (3 1/2 ounce)
- 1/2 cup oat flour (1 3/4 ounce)
- 1/4 cup flax seed meal (1 ounce)
- 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast (1/4 ounce package)
- 2 teaspoons fine salt (3/4 ounce)
- 1 3/4 cups warm water (about 110 degrees F)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- cooking spray
- 6 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme leaves, chopped (about 2 teaspoons)
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary, chopped (about 2 teaspoons)
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon coarse sea salt
- 3 ounces parmigiano-reggiano cheese, shaved into large pieces
- 1Poolish (Pre-ferment):.
- 21 cup whole wheat flour (4 1/2 ounces).
- 31/2 cup steel-cut oats, sometimes called Irish or Scotch oats (3 1/4 ounces).
- 43/4 cup water.
- 5Pinch active dry yeast.
- 72 1//4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour, plus additional as needed (9 7/8 ounces).
- 83/4 cup whole wheat flour (3 1/2 ounce).
- 91/2 cup oat flour (1 3/4 ounce).
- 101/4 cup flaxseed meal (1 ounce).
- 112 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast (1/4 ounce package).
- 122 teaspoons fine salt (3/4 ounce).
- 131 3/4 cups warm water (about 110 degrees F).
- 141⁄4 cup extra-virgin olive oil.
- 15Cooking spray.
- 176 cloves garlic, roughly chopped.
- 182 sprigs fresh thyme leaves, chopped (about 2 teaspoons).
- 191 sprig fresh rosemary, chopped (about 2 teaspoons).
- 201/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil.
- 211 tablespoon medium-coarse sea salt.
- 223 ounces Parmigiano-Reggiano, shaved into large pieces.
- 23Equipment: 2 pans, either jelly roll, 1/4 sheet, or 9-inch square metal.
- 24To make the poolish: Whisk the whole wheat flour, steel-cut oats, water and yeast in medium bowl. Cover with plastic and set aside at room temperature for 12 hours or overnight.
- 25To make the dough: Whisk the all-purpose, whole wheat, and oat flour, flaxseed, yeast, and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the center and pour in the poolish, water, and olive oil. Stir the wet ingredients into the flour with a wooden spoon to make a very sticky loose dough. Cover with a kitchen towel and let stand for 30 minutes.
- 26Turn the dough out of the bowl onto a well-floured work surface or prep mat. Coat your hands with flour and press dough into a 12 by 8-inch rectangle (long side towards you). Using a bench scraper, fold the dough as you would a business letter. (The dough is very wet and this may seem odd, but just move quickly with the scraper and fold 1 end of the dough over the other. Make sure you brush any raw flour from the surface of the dough before you fold over the second end). Spray with cooking spray and cover with a kitchen towel. Let stand 30 minutes.
- 27Fold the dough again like a letter, and rest for another 30 minutes.
- 28Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Divide the olive oil among 2 pans and swirl to coat the pan. Divide dough in half and transfer a piece to each pan, turn dough over to coat both sides with oil, then press dough evenly into the pans. Scatter the garlic, thyme, and rosemary over the top and press the toppings into the dough with your fingers. Sprinkle with sea salt and scatter the cheese on top. (See Cook's Note.).
- 29Bake until golden brown, about 20 to 25 minutes. Slip focaccia from the pans and cool on a rack.
- 30Cooks' Note: The focaccia dough can be tightly wrapped and refrigerated at this point for up to 3 days. Bring to room temperature for about 2 hours before baking.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Multi-Grain Focaccia With Herbs and Garlic
Serving Size: 1 (63 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 163.0
- Calories from Fat 65
- Total Fat 7.3 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 2.5 mg
- Sodium 547.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 0.1 g
- Protein 5.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fresh thyme leaves