Recipe by Derf
Great fiber made to taste wonderful! Originally from "The Lighthearted Cookbook" by Anne Lindsay
Top Review by Anu
I didn't have natural bran, so I used powdered wheat flakes cereal instead. I also reduced the sugar to 1/4 cup, used raisins, and baked for 1 1/2 hour. The bread turned out very flavourful, but the raisins made it terribly difficult to slice the loaf! It also did seem a little dense, but I will make this again, with a few changes.
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup dates or 1 cup raisins
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 cup natural bran
- 1 cup whole wheat flour or 1 cup graham flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup 2% low-fat milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease and flour 9x5-inch loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, pour boiling water over dates or raisins, add soda and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Add natural bran, flour, rolled oats, sugar, baking powder, salt and milk.
- Mix until combined.
- Pour into loaf pan.
- Bake at 350°F for 70-80 minutes or until toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean.