Recipe by LUv 2 BaKE
This very easy bread requires ZERO kneading, yet the result is a nice high risen moist and crumbly loaf. Recipe from Power Eating.
Top Review by emily hauer
I made this into rolls. They were fabulous. Instead of all-purpose flour I used whole wheat pastry flour. As I always do with whole grain breads I substituted wheat gluten for 1/4 cup of the flour.
- 1⁄2 cup red river cereal (or 5-grain or 7-grain cereal)
- 1 1⁄2 cups boiling water
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup oat bran or 1⁄4 cup wheat bran
- 1 (1/4 ounce) envelope fast rising yeast, instant (or 2 1/4 tsp if you buy yeast in bulk)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1 egg
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine cereal and boiling water in a microwavable bowl, set aside for 10 minutes.
- Stir honey and oil into the cereal; heat until hot (about 125-130°F or 50-55°C).
- In a separate large bowl, mix 1 cup whole wheat flour with the all purpose flour, oat bran, yeast, sugar and salt.
- Beat in hot cereal mixture and egg.
- Using electric mixer beat for 2 minutes at high speed.
- Stir in enough remaining whole wheat flour to make a stiff batter.
- With floured hands, pat dough in a 9x5 sprayed or lightly greased loaf pan.
- Cover lightly with plastic wrap or a clean kitchen towel; let rise until doubled, 40-60 minutes.
- Remove wrap, bake at 375°F 35-40 minutes or until bottom sounds hollow when tapped.
- Remove from pan, cool on a rack.