Recipe by paula giles
OH, this is so good! I love homemade bread and this is one of my favorite recipes. Is a little healthier than most bread recipes with all the bran, oats, wheat germ, and yogurt it it.
Top Review by MrsK
Used half white flour, half whole. Let rise--double--formed the bread and rise more. Didn't need to use the whole amount of flour. Very filling bread. Thanks for sharing this delicious recipe, Paula!
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup oats
- 1⁄3 cup wheat germ
- 1⁄3 cup unprocessed natural bran
- 5 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages yeast, fast acting
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 eggs
- wheat germ (for topping) or oats (for topping)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat water, yogurt, and vegetable oil to boiling.
- Stir in oats, wheat germ and bran.
- Set aside until cooled to very warm (about 30 minutes).
- Meanwhile combine 1 cup flour, sugar, yeast, and salt.
- Stir in cooled bran mixture, 1 egg, and enough remaining flour to make soft dough.
- Knead until smooth, about 6-8 minutes.
- Cover let rest 10 minutes.
- Divide dough, place in will greased loaf pan.
- Cover and let double in size.
- Bake at 350°F until golden brown.